Wednesday, October 2, 2019

A generic sans

Sans-serif typefaces dominate in places where large type is used such as titles and advertising. Recently on myfonts.com 46 of the 50 best-selling typefaces were sans serif. Serif type is still used extensively where lengthy text is needed such as in books, magazines, and newspapers, but it does not sell well.
When updating Galexica by adding five styles to the existing five styles, I noticed that my limited offering of sans-serif type had nothing comparable to the superfamilies of sans serif type that have proliferated in recent years. Although the world does not need yet another sans-serif typeface, I could not resist the challenge of creating my own super family.
The result is the 30 styles of Yassitf. It has three widths: condensed, narrow, and regular. The regular has six weights, the narrow five, and the condensed four. Each of those weights has both an upright and an italic version. It is now available on myfonts.com
Creating Yassitf gave me the opportunity to further explore opentype features that I had not previously used. I learned that some of them can add a lot of functionality to a typeface. Going forward, I may add some of these features to my existing faces.

No comments: