Tuesday, January 26, 2021

More obliques and italics

 While adding characters to fonts so that they will meet the Monotype minimum-character requirement, I decided to add some oblique styles because they are easy to do and they can make the family more useful. Recently added are obliques and italics to GalexicaMono, SusiScript, FebDrei, and Yahosch.


An oblique style simply slants the upright style with no changes in letter forms. The new styles of FebDrei and Yahosch qualify as italics rather than obliques. The new FedDrei styles alter the letters f and k  and the new Yahosch styles alter the letters a and f. 

The characters that are most commonly missing in the fonts I am updating include the copyright and registered symbols, the section symbol, and the multiplication sign. When I designed fonts more than twenty years ago, I did not think those characters and some others were important, so I often omitted them.

No comments: