Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Star tilings

In making maze books, I used a number of tiling patterns that featured stars of various kinds. Over the past month I gathered them, corrected them where necessary, and filled in some obvious gaps when I looked at what I had, and then issued the results as a two font family, IngyStarTilings. It is available on myfonts.com.

Here are a few examples of what kinds of patterns it can produce. (Note, most of the patterns require two characters.)
 Above, an eleven-pointed star and an eight pointed star. Below four-pointed stars and three-pointed stars.

Stars do not tessellate so I could not use these patterns in my various tessellation patterns.

A complete listing of the patterns I could make with the typeface is at ingrimayne.com/fonts2/SamplesStarTilings.pdf.

(Two other typefaces that feature stars are XStellaStern and XStarsAndStripes.)

No comments: