Wednesday, January 22, 2020

FeggoliteMono reimagined

During my prime as a typographer, I was fascinated with monospaced or typewriter fonts. I am not sure the reason for this interest, but I ended up designing quite a number of them.

Possibly the strangest of my monospaced designs was FeggoliteMono. It was an attempt to create a decorative face that could have been done on a typewriter.  Although it had no obvious uses, I kept toying with the design, seeing what else I could tease from it. I tried to make it more legible, and then I distorted that variant and put it in boxes. As 2020 began, I noticed that neither of the two weights of the original was a true bold, so I decided to add one.

As I played with it, I thought an italics might be a useful addition and I was surprised to find that what I came up with seemed to be a better attempt at a monospaced, decorative typeface than the original. I had never been happy with the original y and the original g was also funky, so I redid these glyphs, keeping the original y as an alternate that can be accessed via an OpenType stylistic alternative.

Because the family is monospaced and each weight has the same character width, for many of the characters one can overlay the thinner weights over the bolder weights. An example is shown below.
For more information, follow the link. The family is also available on fontspring.

No comments: