Monday, January 20, 2020

Revivals

I have revived three old type families that I had abandoned for many years. They were all hybrids, that is, they were created by blending versions of other fonts that I had constructed. They were not created to serve any purpose but rather were the result of my curiosity. Fontographer had been given the ability to blend two existing fonts (which can be very useful for creating different widths and weights) and I wanted to see what would happen if I fed the blending process various fonts.

Some of the results were attractive and some less so. The fonts created by blending in KampFriendship, a hand-drawn font with serifs, seemed less pleasing than other blends, so I set them aside when I began to list fonts on myfonts.com. However, they are very legible at small point sizes and someone somewhere may find a use for them. I have cleaned them up (blending can leave a lot of oddities, especially when mixing two quite different fonts) and added new styles to two of them. They are now available on fontspring.com

Examples of the three font families are shown below with a sample from the plain and bold-italics styles. The font families are, from top to bottom, EuroikaKamp, BetterKamp, and KampIngriana. For more information, follow the links.


No comments: